Silkworm diseases are the major constraint in achieving optimum productivity of silk cocoons by Sericulturists inIndia. A number of measures have been suggested to control diseases in silkworm such as disinfection of rearing house and rearing appliances, maintenance of hygienic conditions in and around rearing house and silkworm body and rearing seat disinfection.
Ankush is an innovation of CSRTI.Mysore. It prevents the spread of all silkworm diseases and is on par in effectiveness with the popular bed disinfectant Vijetha. It is an user friendly and pleasant odoured, cause no burning sensation of eye, nose and throat or irritation of skin as is most commercially available bed disinfectants. It is also ecofriendly and non-hazardous being made from botanicals and non-hazardous chemicals. It does not contain hazardous paraformaldehyde.
Adavantages over other disinfectants:
Ankush scores several advantages over the most existing bed disinfectant, which makes them the most suitable bed disinfectant.
- Effective against the initiation and spread of all silkworm diseases while most bed disinfectants are effective against few diseases of silkworm.
- Eco friendly being made of non-hazardous chemicals and botanicals and do not cause serious health and pollution problems.
- It is user friendly, as it is pleasant odoured, cause no burning sensation of eye, nose and throat or irritation of skin as is most commercially available bed disinfectants.
- While Ankush is used as silkworm body and rearing seat disinfection additional use of muscardine mixture is not required.
- Ankush uses indigenous ingredients, available easily in abundance.
Ankush is new generation revolutionary silkworm body and rearing seat disinfectant. It overcomes all the constraints observed with the existing disinfectants without sacrificing the efficacy against all silkworm pathogens. The disinfectant was developed in silkworm pathology laboratory, CSRTI.Mysoreand test verified at different level. The result was compared with Vijetha, a most popular bed disinfectant developed by CSRTI.Mysore.
Laboratory test result:
Ankush was test verified at CSRTI.Mysore for its effectiveness in reduction of spread of different diseases and compared with that of Vijetha,. The results are presented in table 1.
It observed from the study that Ankush could prevent the spread of individual disease to an extent of 65.62% Pebrine, 70.90% Grasserie, 79.17% Flacherie (Bacterial, Viral) and 96.50 Muscardine and Aspergillosis. The performance was on par with Vijetha.
Ankush was also test verified in Technology verification and demonstration center, CSRTI.Mysore, as well as with farmers in Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu. The results are presented in Table 2.
* : Control Gr Grasserie; Fl:Flacherie; Mus;Muscardine; Peb; Pebrine.
It is observed that the performance of Ankush at CSRTI-TVDC and with sericulturists is on almost on par.
View of Sericulturists:
Sericulturists in the three states where it was test verified were of opinion that the new disinfectant is user friendly and rated as good. They were eager to adopt in their silkworm rearing.